Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Accessing smb shares off windows

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Accessing smb shares off windows

Be careful about sharing your system's passwords on these forums! They have been known to be spidered.......
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

There are three parts to this problem.

1) All of your Windows computers need to be in the same workgroup.
    To check/remedy this, take a look at this Microsoft document: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/295017
    2) Ubuntu needs to be in the same workgroup as your Windows computers.
    To remedy this, follow the steps outlined in post 5.
    3) Ubuntu is unable to resolve Windows hostnames by default.
    To remedy this, follow these steps: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...50&postcount=4
    Last edited by dmizer; April 27th, 2009 at 08:08 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by jonandrews View Post
    Step 2:
    Install winbind by copying and pasting the following command:
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install winbind
    See if that fixes your problem.

If that still doesn't work, try this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=288534
    Thanks, I followed the steps in the "pre-work" section of that thread. This fixed my problem and I can now also browse my Windows 7 share, which I was never previously able to do on my Eee.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DenysT View Post
    Having struggled through this in 8.10 I finally decided to start over in 9.04 and this is how I got everything to work without the dreaded "failed to retrieve" error.

Open a terminal window.
    Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal

Type in "sudo gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf" without the quotes (you'll have to enter your password)

In the conf file find the line workgroup = WORKGROUP

If your Windows workgroup (My Computer (right click) -> Properties - Computer Name tab has this info) is different change the line to read workgroup = YOURWORKGROUPNAME

Next scroll down a few lines until you find the line name resolver order = lmhosts hosts wins bcast and delete the semicolon at the beginning of the line.

Save the changes and exit. Reboot. I don't know that rebooting is necessary but I'm still having to unlearn Windows and learn a real OS again. When you next go to Places - > Network you should see the network workgroup and computers attached to it. From there you can open/connect to a computer and see it's shares. It's not like XP where you just have a list of all shares in My Network Places but at least you can see them. This worked for me on 2 clean installs of 9.04, hope it works for you.

I just tried this in a clean install of 9.04 & I cant get it working. Are you connecting via wired or wireless? I know it shouldnt make a difference but I figured I would ask.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by DenysT View Post
    Having struggled through this in 8.10 I finally decided to start over in 9.04 and this is how I got everything to work without the dreaded "failed to retrieve" error.

Open a terminal window.
    Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal

Type in "sudo gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf" without the quotes (you'll have to enter your password)

In the conf file find the line workgroup = WORKGROUP

If your Windows workgroup (My Computer (right click) -> Properties - Computer Name tab has this info) is different change the line to read workgroup = YOURWORKGROUPNAME

Next scroll down a few lines until you find the line name resolver order = lmhosts hosts wins bcast and delete the semicolon at the beginning of the line.

Save the changes and exit. Reboot. I don't know that rebooting is necessary but I'm still having to unlearn Windows and learn a real OS again. When you next go to Places - > Network you should see the network workgroup and computers attached to it. From there you can open/connect to a computer and see it's shares. It's not like XP where you just have a list of all shares in My Network Places but at least you can see them. This worked for me on 2 clean installs of 9.04, hope it works for you.
    I'm sorry but it doesn't work for me on a clean 9.04 install while 8.10 on the same system (other partition) works fine.

what shall I do?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by adonet View Post
    I'm sorry but it doesn't work for me on a clean 9.04 install while 8.10 on the same system (other partition) works fine.

what shall I do?
    Try the suggestions I've made in the 6th link in my sig.
    Last edited by dmizer; June 4th, 2009 at 12:20 AM.

Beans

Re: Accessing smb shares off windows (try hosts file)

I just finally fixed my windows file sharing problem, perhaps this might help.

Here's the bottom line for what ailed my system. I needed to setup static IP's (192.168.1.xxx for my router) instead of dhcp.

Next, I had to add these entries to my /etc/hosts file.

I have a small home local lan and so there's no nameserver running anywhere. This means that hostname vs. ip addresses were not available to the ubuntu system from the network - which would silently fail. I found nothing in any logs either (but might have missed something).

The sad thing is that it fooled me because the network gui would find all the computer names, but only one would work.

My windows boxes all seem to find each other easily, but my 9.04 Ubuntu would only see one of my windows computers. And I am still puzzled how it found that one - somewhere along the line something (not me, I swear) did actually add my first and only windows ip address and name to the hosts file. When I added the rest, it all worked. I must have added these to the windows hosts files long ago and forgot this was needed on my network.

It's a shame that ubuntu network gui shows these computer and knows their names - it figures out they are there but can't open them w/o the ip address and it can't translate the windows host name it sees somehow into the ip address.

Anyway, maybe this is your problem.

I hope in the future that ubuntu will be more forthcoming about network failures and at least log what the failure is. I had to figure it out by staring at sniffer dumps for days until I saw where it was not getting the info it wanted.

UPDATE:

I did finally figure out what was occurring that requires the hosts table entries.

My ubuntu system would issue a netbios broadcast (6 times) and it would get no response. So, after that, it would contact my first dns server (I use the open one at 208.67.222.222) which did respond. In this case, I provide a single host name, e.g. "myhost" which it would turn into www.myhost.com and then return an IP address. Next, ubuntu would think, oh this is good, let's try to do a netbios tcp connection here, which would fail - since this is some system somewhere on the public internet. It tries this 3 times then finally gives up. Anyway, that's what I saw using a hub and a sniffer.

By putting these into the hosts file, ubuntu then did the same things, except it did not go to the public nameserver, but rather immediately sent the netbios connection to my local computer (the right one) and got a response.
    Last edited by rocket777; June 13th, 2009 at 12:33 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12