Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't log into Ubuntu in dual boot with Windows

Beans

Can't log into Ubuntu in dual boot with Windows

I had installed an SSD drive that I put Ubuntu 20.04 on in a partition. It was also partitioned as D: drive in Windows. It worked fine for awhile. Then I started experiencing issues before when it didn't give the option to choose Windows on boot, unless I chose in bios, and it went to a grub terminal, which I would have to exit from. But I upgraded to 22.04 and I think around then it started giving the option to log into Windows again, though it still went to grub on boot. Now I can't access Ubuntu at all, and D: drive on Windows can't be read. It may be an issue with the extra SSD drive, but in Windows it shows no issues in disk management, just the D: drive shows up as RAW, but the partition for Ubuntu is still there. I ran boot repair and got the boot info. I uploaded it and can share the info here if someone may have ideas on how to fix. If it may just be an issue with the SSD drive, I'm not sure if I should trust it and install Ubuntu again, or get another.

There's no recommended repair, the boot repair info just says

```
    Suggested repair: __________________________________________________ ____________

The default repair of the Boot-Repair utility would not act on the MBR.
    Additional repair would be performed: win-legacy-basic-fix
    ```

Thanks.
    Last edited by tacolandia; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:57 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Can't log into Ubuntu in dual boot with Windows

Is this also you?
    I prefer a forum like this for issues requiring back & forth or more complex issues. AskUbuntu is one question & one answer.
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/1514...dual-boot-boot

Please post link to full Boot-Repair Boot-info report with external drive attached.
    Do not use the same site as that is not allowed here, use the recommended pastebin site.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Yes I can delete that one, if that's preferable. I generated this. It said a report was uploaded to pastebin. It says I can reboot, I haven't done that yet. There were advanced options I didn't check the box of.
    http://*******.us/BCEPaR

I'm not sure what you mean by this

Do not use the same site as that is not allowed here, use the recommended pastebin site.

same site as what and what?

Beans

checking if quick reply works, it wasn't before

Beans

• RAW is what Windows sees as a Windows partition that has lost the essential boot info that is in the PBR - partition boot sector. Or it may just the the ext4 partition as it has no info in PBR. Do not use Windows tools on Linux partiitions as it may erase or corrupt them. post link to full summary report from Boot-Repair. If UEFI installs be sure to boot live installer in UEFI mode when running Boot-Repair. – oldfred
      22 hours ago

You are not showing external drive and have no Linux install on internal drive. And you have grub installed to Windows drive in both BIOS boot mode and UEFI boot mode. Only one will probably work, Best to have Ubuntu in UEFI boot mode since Windows is UEFI boot. Older installs defaulted to installing grub on first drive unless you specified otherwise and UEFI installer even made that difficult. bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/1396379 Add ESP to external drive with gparted and reinstall grub in UEFI mode using that ESP with Boot-Repair.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

The site you are posting to is a banned word on this site.
    Normally with Ubuntu, Boot-Repair posts to pastebin, but since Mint I guess it uses something else?

Moved to Mint sub-forum since not Ubuntu or one of Ubuntu's official flavors.

It looks like sda2 is not used. Remove boot,esp flags with gparted from sda2.
    You can see UEFI boot entries as shown in report with:
    sudo efibootmgr -v
    And partitions:
    lsblk -e 7 -o name,fstype,size,fsused,label,partlabel,mountpoint ,uuid,partuuid
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

The boot repair usb runs on mint, but I've only ever installed Ubuntu. I couldn't install boot repair in Ubuntu itself since I can't get to it. It said it was uploaded to pastebin but I'm not sure how to get results from there. But I guess it's the same that is shown locally, which I copied to pastebin here

https://pastebin.ubuntu.com/p/DDQk5PhJCP/

Beans

Here are results of those commands

`
    mint@mint:~$ sudo efibootmgr -v
    BootCurrent: 0009
    Timeout: 2 seconds
    BootOrder: 0008,0000,0005,000A,0009,0007
    Boot0000* Windows Boot Manager HD(1,GPT,d764402b-115d-4e11-b06d-28f43361dbd7,0x800,0x32000)/File(\EFI\MICROSOFT\BOOT\BOOTMGFW.EFI)WINDOWS..... ....x...B.C.D.O.B.J.E.C.T.=.{.9.d.e.a.8.6.2.c.-.5.c.d.d.-.4.e.7.0.-.a.c.c.1.-.f.3.2.b.3.4.4.d.4.7.9.5.}...h................
    Boot0005* INTEL SSDPEKNW010T8 BBS(HD,,0x0)..BO
    Boot0007* ubuntu VenHw(99e275e7-75a0-4b37-a2e6-c5385e6c00cb)
    Boot0008* ubuntu HD(1,GPT,d764402b-115d-4e11-b06d-28f43361dbd7,0x800,0x32000)/File(\EFI\UBUNTU\SHIMX64.EFI)..BO
    Boot0009* UEFI: SanDisk Cruzer Glide 1.26, Partition 1 PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x8,0x1)/Pci(0x0,0x3)/USB(1,0)/HD(1,MBR,0xaeba4e92,0x20,0x1dd17e0)..BO
    Boot000A* SanDisk Cruzer Glide 1.26 BBS(HD,,0x0)..BO
    mint@mint:~$ lsblk -e 7 -o name,fstype,size,fsused,label,partlabel,mountpoint ,uuid,partuuid
    lsblk: ,uuid,partuuid: not a block device
    `

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 24.04 Noble Numbat

From the boot-repair report in post 7:-
    Line 80 - One OS detected Windows 10 or 11 on nvme0n1p3
    Line 151 - nvme0n1p5 2000406528 2000408575 2048 1M Linux filesystem

There is no sign of Ubuntu on your nvme0n1 disk
    Your Linux file system size is miniscule.

Is Ubuntu on a separate unattached disk?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

This has an extra space which is not obvious
    lsblk -e 7 -o name,fstype,size,fsused,label,partlabel,mountpoint ,uuid,partuuid
    remove space before ,uuid

Make sure all drives are connected and in UEFI settings are seen by UEFI.
    Better to use same version of Ubuntu, if current or a current version of Ubuntu as live installer for repairs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast