Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nightmare Installing Unreal Tournament 2004 In Ubuntu 7.10

Beans

Re: Nightmare Installing Unreal Tournament 2004 In Ubuntu 7.10

try

Code:
    export SETUP_CDROM=/media/dvd/
    replacing /media/dvd with your mounted dvd, obviously.

I got this from another forum and it worked

Beans

I had the same problem,

Code:
    fixed it indeed, but make sure you run it before you run the installer.sh! It wont work if you do it when it asks for the play cdrom.

Thanks turova

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Awesome! Thanks guys. I have the DVD version and this worked for me as well.

Code:
    sudo ln -s /media/cdrom0 /media/dvd
    mount /media/cdrom0
    sudo sh /media/cdrom0/linux-installer.sh

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hi OmNiPoTeNcE,

Had the same problem of being asked to mount the Unreal Tournament 2004 Play Disc. It turned out that my backup DVD I had made in windows (I had cracked the original over the years) was named incorrectly, the DVD must be named UT2004_DVD and the directory structure should be, AutoRun.inf CD1 CD2 CD3 CD4 CD5 CD6 linux-installer.sh Setup.exe (I left the windows files in place for no reason). I made a new DVD copied the linux-installer.sh to my desktop right click Properties ticked Allow executing file as program closed the properties then gave the linux-installer.sh the double click (sorry) and job done.
    Hope this helps.

Regards. Steven.
    ASRock G31M-S - Intel Core2Duo E7500 - 2GB DDR2 - Realtek alc662 - Geforce 9600gt - Samsung 2233bw

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gaebriel View Post
    Awesome! Thanks guys. I have the DVD version and this worked for me as well.

Code:
    sudo ln -s /media/cdrom0 /media/dvd
    mount /media/cdrom0
    sudo sh /media/cdrom0/linux-installer.sh
    OMG!!!

I haven't run this yet, but it looks like it will work so I wanted to get the documentation copied here before I forgot or lost the steps I used.

Here is copy of my Terminal input:

Code:
    :~$ sudo ln -s /media/cdrom0/media/dvd
    [sudo] password for user:
    ?-desktop:~$ export SETUP_CDROM=/media/dvd/
    ?-desktop:~$ mount /media/cdrom0
    mount: No medium found
    ?-desktop:~$ mount /media/cdrom0
    mount: block device /dev/hdd is write-protected, mounting read-only
    ?-desktop:~$ sudo sh /media/cdrom0/linux-installer.sh
    Copying to a temporary location...
    Verifying archive integrity... All good.
    Uncompressing Unreal Tournament 2004 for GNU/Linux 3319......................................................................
    I didn't insert my DVD until I got the error above, then continued.

Took about 5 min or more for the install to finish and it will ask you for you 'key'.

I made no prior installs or modifications before doing this. I'm running 'Gutsy' on a AMD Athlon XP CPU w/1GB Ram, Nvidia MX400, installed to an External WD USB HD.

Upon completion of install I got the following notification:

'UT2004 has been installed to /usr/local/games/ut2004'

'Type ut2004 to start the program'

I will now attempt to run it and get back . . . .
    Our biggest problem is always the one we are experiencing at the moment.

Beans

OK!!!

While a little slower on first start than I remember in Windows and an occasional glitch or hang on changing weapons, I am now running UT2004 on my Ubuntu 7.10 Linux O/S.

I have played through the first 5 Qualification Matches and the graphics are as good or better than Windows IMO.

I was worried that like many other games which I have tried to run, I would have to do a RESTART after playing to get my screen res back or reset mt system. Not this time. It went right back to my 1024x768 setting with no problems.

So far I'd have to say that I've got a successful install of UT2004 on Ubuntu and very happy. Again, there is an occasional slow down or hang during play for some reason, but it picks back up. Why? I don't know.

Thanks again. Yahooo!
    Our biggest problem is always the one we are experiencing at the moment.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Thumbs down Re: Nightmare Installing Unreal Tournament 2004 In Ubuntu 7.10

I've had similar problems getting UT2k4 to install in both Gutsy and now in Hardy.

I've tried exporting the SETUP_CDROM variable. I've tried mounting the DVD manually to a different location than the Gnome automounter and re-exporting the SETUP_CDROM variable. I've tried starting the installer and THEN inserting the DVD. None of these things worked.

A little investigation showed that GNOME kept automounting the DVD with a filesystem type of UDF (fairly standard for DVDs). So, on a lark, I tried mounting it from the command line as filesystem type ISO9660 (CDROM).

Code:
    sudo mount -t iso9660 /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0
    export SETUP_CDROM=/media/cdrom0
    sudo sh ~/linux-installer.sh
    That finally did the trick.
    The world is full of tough guys. It does not need me to be one, too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

papabean, you rock. After spending the evening trying to install ut2004 on hardy, I had just begun to reinstall ut2004 on a virgin vmware instance with gutsy so I could try copying the /usr/local/games/ut2004 installation directory. I don't know if it makes any difference or not, but I also did everything I could to turn off automounting (see thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=771835) including running
    Code:
    hal-disable-polling --device /dev/scd0
    but I still couldn't get it to install.

This worked for me on Ubuntu 8.04 as well.

Beans

Exclamation Re: Nightmare Installing Unreal Tournament 2004 In Ubuntu 7.10

Hey, I searched on Google how to install Unreal Tournament 2004 on Ubuntu. I am using 8.04. Actually, I bought the Unreal Anthology a couple of days ago. I have played it before but on Windows XP. I couldn't play online, because I installed the game and then put a No CD Crack into the folder so I could run it. So I figured I would buy the game so I could play with him. I installed the game using Wine, because for some reason all 3 linux install files did not work . So I installed it successfully, and then went to run it. When it maximized to full screen, it sat there with a black screen. There was sound, but no video. I am trying to install it agian, to see if it works. But I doubt it will. Any help on this??

Beans

Exclamation Re: Nightmare Installing Unreal Tournament 2004 In Ubuntu 7.10

Ok. New problem. lol.
    Well, I did not have the linux-installer.sh file. So, I copied the ENTIRE disc right to the desktop, and downloaded the file, and put the file in the disk1 folder. The problem is that it wont load. Now I know you guys have said that you need to run it in terminal, but im a noob right now with Ubuntu (I'm kinda new with it), so what code would I have to put in?
    Its on my desktop, folder named Unreal Anthology.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast