Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Netbook Remix Jaunty + Acer Aspire One D250

Beans

Re: Ubuntu Netbook Remix Jaunty + Acer Aspire One D250

Hi! I have a Acer Aspire One D250 and I have some trouble with the VGA exit. Infact after few minutes (almost 10) a monitor connect by VGA way become black, and stay black until a reboot (Or the end of the session). Its not a savescreen problem because I disable that, and there is no problem when I return to the internal monitor. (Sorry for my english). Thanks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Gas-one View Post
    Hi! I have a Acer Aspire One D250 and I have some trouble with the VGA exit. Infact after few minutes (almost 10) a monitor connect by VGA way become black, and stay black until a reboot (Or the end of the session). Its not a savescreen problem because I disable that, and there is no problem when I return to the internal monitor. (Sorry for my english). Thanks.
    I have resolved it passing to a newer kernel (2.6.30.5).

Beans

Hey guys, I'm new (both to Ubuntu and the forums) and am looking for some help.

I've recently purchased the Acer Aspire D250, and after I got fed up with windows xp, I decided to set it up for dual-boot. Install for UNR went fine, and everything I've tested works, except:

1) Ethernet. This is obviously a problem people have been experiencing, and I've been looking for the recommended driver to install (AR813X-linux-v1.0.0.8.tar.gz), but it seems to have been removed from http://partner.atheros.com/Drivers.aspx. A quick google search turns up nothing. Any ideas on where I could find it?

2) Sleep and/or hibernate. When I close my netbook, the screen goes off, but it's still running. I've checked the power settings, and it *should* be hibernating when closed, but it isn't. I'll bet the answer is somewhere here, but if someone could quote/summarize the solution, I'd be highly appreciative.

3) It runs hot, and by hot, I mean really hot. This is compounded by the problem with it not hibernating properly, and I've had a few scares putting it in my bag while it's still running. Again, I bet there's an answer to this somewhere, but I'd love it if someone could summarize.

Thanks in advance!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by wpierce View Post
    Hey guys, I'm new (both to Ubuntu and the forums) and am looking for some help.

1) Ethernet. This is obviously a problem people have been experiencing, and I've been looking for the recommended driver to install (AR813X-linux-v1.0.0.8.tar.gz), but it seems to have been removed from http://partner.atheros.com/Drivers.aspx. A quick google search turns up nothing. Any ideas on where I could find it?
    it's OK to use newer version of the drivers: http://partner.atheros.com/Download.aspx?id=103

For the rest, sorry, can't help, don't have the laptop any more..

[/QUOTE]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

G'day all, my first post in these forums, and my first 48 hours as a Linux user.

2 days ago I installed Ubuntu / XP dual boot on my desktop after a power outage caused a serious windows crash - went perfectly, all is fine and dandy, I like the OS and haven't used Windows since installing Ubuntu.

So, I decided to install the same on the wife's laptop as a precautionary measure, (we get a lot of power cuts here).

Wubi install of Ubuntu 9.04 / XP dual boot to an Acer Aspire 1 D250.

Everything looks good except I've found the same problems as are listed in this thread.
    I'm not bothered about the microphone or the LED issues, but the lack of internet is a deal killer with Mrs C. We have a wireless router in the house, but run lines to weak signal areas - neither work with this 9.04 installation.

I've read through all 11 pages of this thread and seen things explained in many different ways, and every word was completely over my head as I'm a 2 day old virgin with Linux.

Is there anyone here who has enough time and patience to write up a step-by-step idiot's guide to addressing the wifi/wired connectivity problem for the AA1 D250 - taking account of the fact that I'm a complete novice and need things spelling out in sparklingly clear, plain English?

Many thanks in advance.

C

Beans

Hi chuangt2u!

I was in the same situation as you 2 days ago, and made a post asking much the same. Basically, you should download http://partner.atheros.com/Download.aspx?id=103, and the enter what's quoted below line by line into terminal.
    This page (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingTheTerminal) should help you get to the correct directories. Obviously your ability to do this depends on you computer-savviness (for finding directories, changing the terminal commands to suit your system/kernel, etc), and hopefully this is the info you need.

I'm sure someone else could explain better then I can, because as I said before, only learned this a few days ago. But anyways, I hope this sets you in the right direction.

-Will

Quote Originally Posted by suomaf View Post
    Code:
    sso@aspirenova:~/Downloads/linux-files/test$ ls
    AR813X-linux-v1.0.0.8.tar.gz
    sso@aspirenova:~/Downloads/linux-files/test$ gunzip AR813X-linux-v1.0.0.8.tar.gz 
    sso@aspirenova:~/Downloads/linux-files/test$ tar xvf AR813X-linux-v1.0.0.8.tar 
    sso@aspirenova:~/Downloads/linux-files/test$ cd src
    sso@aspirenova:~/Downloads/linux-files/test/src$ make
    sso@aspirenova:~/Downloads/linux-files/test/src$ sudo su
    [sudo] password for sso: 
    root@aspirenova:/home/sso/Documents/Downloads/linux-files/test/src# make install
    root@aspirenova:/home/sso/Documents/Downloads/linux-files/test/src# cd /lib/modules/2.6.28-12-generic/kernel/drivers/net/atl1e/
    root@aspirenova:/lib/modules/2.6.28-12-generic/kernel/drivers/net/atl1e# insmod ./arl1e.ko

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Many thanks wpierce, I'll give it a go this weekend...

Beans
    Hidden!

My wireless used to work following the instructions here, then it stopped.
    I thought for a long time that it was my fault that it stopped, and explored various settings suggested earlier.
    I think now that the problem is just that something is broken in the wireless on my Aspire One.

So, if anyone else has wireless difficulties, I want to share that the LinkSys USB N wireless donggle works great. (Dual Band Wireless-N Network Adaptor) This seems to work with and without MadWifi activated. It also gives greater range and snappier connections.

First I borrowed the adaptor made by LinkSys and found that it worked. Trying to be frugal, I tried cheaper USB N wireless adaptors made by other manufacturers, and found that they did not work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hey guys,

I sold my D250 then decided to buy it again.. long story but not important. I have decided to install UNR again and so far the ethernet is working. I think the mic should be too. However I seem to have lost the wireless. It used to work out of the box but this is not the case anymore.

I did a lspci and this is what i got
    01:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

So I reread most of this thread and I was able to fix the wireless by loading jaunty backports. For the life of me, I cannot seem to be able to get the front mic working.. still trying but thats the fun of it i guess

Ok just an update.. everything worked out and as a bonus I was able to get my brand new phs100 hsdpa modem working as well...
    Last edited by suomaf; October 12th, 2009 at 02:49 PM.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast