Thread: help rtl8187

Beans

help rtl8187

hello everyone this is my first post...sorry its a really common issue but im tired of switching between os' to troubleshoot my wifi connections and trying to read then switch back to ubuntu to try things out i want to settle this now =P once im connected i should be able to figure out alot on my own so please bare with me

anywho....

the issue:
    I just downloaded and installed ubuntu 9.10
    I can not seem to connect to my wireless router using rtl8187
    I have read up as much as i could but theres always a step that does not seem to work... i do not have any packages installed yet seems to be limiting my options

when i open network connections and click on the wifi tab....nothing is there( no networks found)
    so im guessing obviously its compatibility or drivers issue?
    if i type "iwconfig" i see that it knows that my adapter is there under wlan0 it shows r8187 yadda yadda not associated stuff ..channel this freq that... (sorry but im not able to copy and paste because im not logged in ubuntu)

one of the post i read was some thing about blacklist r8187 and not rtl8187...i tried following that but no luck not quite sure i understood maybe thats the key? can anyone help? please let me know if other information is needed...thanks a bunch

Beans

Re: help rtl8187

nevermind i got it...when i deleted the top panel i removed 'notification area"....wow....who knew.....put it back up and there were the networks.....ha!