Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Wusb54gc v3 RT3070 v2.1.2.0 driver install

Beans

Re: Wusb54gc v3 RT3070 v2.1.2.0 driver install

i'm not unable to install the other drivers..
    but i've read many where the driver's issue is causes by 2.6.32.* kernel (ubuntu 10.04 LTS)..
    do you suggest me to install 9.10 oe 9.04?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ip3t View Post
    i'm not unable to install the other drivers..
    but i've read many where the driver's issue is causes by 2.6.32.* kernel (ubuntu 10.04 LTS)..
    do you suggest me to install 9.10 oe 9.04?
    No kernel is perfect.

There are several versions of the Linksys wusb54gc wireless adapters and each use a different driver.

Getting the wusb54gc v3 to work on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS is a piece of cake compared to Ubuntu 9.10 - see posts #2 and #3 of this link http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1489883
    Connection to 'hidden' networks (at least on mine with WPA2-PSK with AES encryption) appears to work almost flawlessly so far.

You should first check the device ID of your wireless adapter (to properly identify your device) as advised by chili555 to solve your issues and try to stick to that thread unless chili555 gives up on you

Good luck

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Great instructions! This thread has helped me a lot. I've used the OP to successfully use my WUSB54gc on two different systems. I'm now trying to use it with Virtualbox so that my Ubuntu guest can have its own dedicated IP, instead of having to port forward from the guest to the host.

When I first followed the instructions, everything worked perfectly. The driver compiled fine, and when I rebooted the guest OS, I was able to connect to my wireless network on the first try. I eventually had to restart my whole system and now the guest OS can't scan using the interface. 'ifconfig' and 'iwconfig' both list the ra0 device but when I do 'iwlist ra0 scan', I always get 'ra0 No scan results'. One point that bears mention is that the guest kernel is 2.6.30.9. Why would the driver work fine after being first compiled, but not be able to scan after my system was restarted?
    01001001010011010d3str0y.th3.m4chin300010001001011 00

Beans

Hi

I have been trying for several days to get this device to work and it appears completely dead unless I connect it to a Windows machine. I though UDEV was designed to instantly recognise a USB device on connection however how can it be so hard to get it work. What is all the crap I read in the architecture about HAL and plug and play?

I have a disk with a Linux folder but no install program so how do you install.

I have followed all the instructions using MAKE and MAKE INSTALL and I get NO Wireless Extensions. Not a single flicker from the device and no response from the PC when it is inserted or disconnected.

How can 10.04 be so broken to not plug and play or at least have some usable mechanism to install drivers.

This is mind numbing and so frustrating becasue a USB wireless device is a standard piece of hardware in 2010.

To make matter worse is that the PC was originally installed from a blank HD with 10.04 with an internal PCI Netgear WG311v3 which Ubuntu did not detect on setup and I could not get working in any maner. A completely clean install of UBUNTU and no wireless connectivity.

So I reverted to the much more recent RT3070 and still 4 days of frustration.

Does Ubuntu support wireless devices and what does SUPPORT mean in this environment? Days and days of command line cryptic commands?

You really want to support the project but you keep getting kicked in the head but such poor design. I also discovered the burning solution is also broken in this version so where has the release testing gone?

Beans

Follow the scent of freshly connected wifi adapter if your WUSB54GC v.3 isn't connecting (at least with 10.4..., October of 2010...)... like post #102 said: I went to that thread, and the simple blacklist instructions had me good to go.
    Last edited by drewciferpike; October 13th, 2010 at 06:30 PM. Reason: correction

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Wusb54gc v3 RT3070 v2.1.2.0 driver install

Originally my dongle worked and then it didn't in Lucid. Spent a lot of time following various strategies to make my wusb54gc v3 dongle to work after it stopped working in Lucid 10.04 - nothing worked. it was easier to reinstall lucid while the dongle was inserted (don't know if this was necessary, but it was insurance). The light finally lit up on the dongle and all i had to do was blacklist rt2800usb to make it work. This was also the only thing i had to do on my other 10.04 laptop installation. I noticed others blacklist different modules - like the mentioned rt2870STA module - so just be aware. Save time and frustration, and reinstall.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011