Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wusb54gc v3 RT3070 v2.1.2.0 driver install

Beans

Wink Re: Wusb54gc v3 RT3070 v2.1.2.0 driver install

thanks b k. i was finally able to make my dongle work, thanks to this guide.

i followed Procedure C since i already followed other guides.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...nksys+wusb54gc
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1155941

these guides suggest that the Linksys WUSB54GC v3 uses Ralink 2870.
    however, it was silly of me that i did not finish reading the thread by radixor, and good thing you created another thread and i saw this thread of yours that suggest using RT3070.

here are the steps that i did:

1) installed network-manager and also uninstalled wicd in the process by using synaptic package manager

2) followed from Step 1 to Step 16 SKIPPING Step 8 (the one where you edit the RT2870STA.dat file)

3) i downloaded the RT2870 driver from the Ralinktech website, extracted it, and sudo make clean (note: you won't need "sudo" if you're running as root) then sudo make && make install
    (this step was to simply overwrite my previous RT2870 installation)

4) i reinstalled wicd and uninstalled network-manager in the process

iwconfig shows "ra0" and so i just had to configure wicd and i was able to connect to our wireless network

what i am suggesting is.. i think that it should be a point to reinstall the previous driver that didn't work (in my case, RT2870) so that it doesn't conflict with the RT3070 driver
    Last edited by janeeps; January 24th, 2010 at 06:57 AM. Reason: I think I have failed to include the "make clean" part. Not that I remember doing it, but I think it's necessary.

Beans

Re: Wusb54gc v3 RT3070 v2.1.2.0 driver install

Quote Originally Posted by grief -l View Post
    Update:

So far it works fine for casual browsing. However, the first thing it wanted to do was download updates. During the half-hour process it must have disconnected and reconnected 10 or 12 times. Since then I have found that I can browse while listening to music (live feed), but as soon as I try to download anything over 1 MB or watch video it cuts out. This gets progressively worse until simple browsing (forums) slows down and eventually disconnects repeatedly. A reboot fixes the problem.

It's not satisfactory but I can live with it till I find another dongle or a real driver appears.

Thanks again b k!

Gabe
    Hi, try configuring your gateway/router to broadcast your SSID (ie network name) if your wireless network is currently 'hidden'. It may help.

In terms of security. I believe that it does not make that much difference.

Beans

Hi b k,

The router is broadcasting. Do you know how to change to another channel? Or at least find out which channel it's using now?

Gabe

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by grief -l View Post
    Hi b k,

The router is broadcasting. Do you know how to change to another channel? Or at least find out which channel it's using now?

Gabe
    Hi, in Step 8 of post #1 if you had left or set channel to 0 and you set infra (infrastructure ) mode when you where modifying the file. you should be OK.

Setting channel to 0 enables auto selecting of broadcasting channels.

To find out which channel your router/gateway is broadcasting on, you need to read your router documentation.
    The documentation will point you to a web address from which you can view/change the channel that it is set to broadcast on (you will need a password to make any changes to the router settings).

Hope this info is of help to you. Good luck

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

~$ uname -r
    2.6.31-17-generic-pae

Hi

I would like to follow your procedure - I have the rt3070 chipset, my kernel is as above, should this mean I follow PartC for a 32bit 16 kernel? I am not sure if mine is 32bit or 64bit though, is that important, because last time I tried to find out, it appeared that it could be 64.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by gnitram; January 16th, 2010 at 01:10 PM. Reason: add thread subsc

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hi again,

Does anyone know about this, which to follow A, B or C if you have kernel 17?
    and then what if you have a 64bit version?

Sorry if my message sounded a little vague, it is just that I am new here and I have already learnt a lot through reading the Ubuntu docs and user threads. One thing I have also learnt is not to advance with steps, when you are not sure what you are doing, as this week I had to wipe the system and re-installl.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gnitram View Post
    Hi again,

Does anyone know about this, which to follow A, B or C if you have kernel 17?
    and then what if you have a 64bit version?

Sorry if my message sounded a little vague, it is just that I am new here and I have already learnt a lot through reading the Ubuntu docs and user threads. One thing I have also learnt is not to advance with steps, when you are not sure what you are doing, as this week I had to wipe the system and re-installl.
    Hi, I have personal experience only on the 32 bit Ubuntu desktop 9.10 version OS.

Suggest you read post #1 which I have just edited again (added PROCEDURE C-1 for people who currently have 2.6.31-17-generic kernel). Please note the pre-requisites for each PROCEDURE.

My guess is that what you are using should not be significantly different (where wireless connectivity is concern) from the 32 bit version.

If you wish to give it a try, download all the files at the end of post #1 (except 2009_1110_RT3070_Linux_STA_v2.1.2.0.tar.bz2 driver HowToInstall_edited_20091216.txt. This file is superceded by 2009_1110_RT3070_Linux_STA_v2.1.2.0.tar.bz2 driver HowToInstall_edited_20100117.txt.zip which contains all the latest instructions/codes/commands) to a usb stick so that they are available to you on your Ubuntu machine.

The file Typical Output Screens for the Various Steps during RT3070 driver install.tar.gz gives you an indication where to copy and paste certain codes/commands which is required in certain steps of the relevant procedure.

Remember to use copy and paste technique during execution of the various steps in the relevant procedure to minimise typing errors.

I have just used PROCEDURE C-1 with 2.6.31-17-generic kernel to successfully connect to the internet using Linksys WUSB54gc v3 usb wireless dongle/stick.

Good luck
    Last edited by b k; January 17th, 2010 at 07:20 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hi B K

thanks for the response I have not followed the procedure yet, because I am not sure if I meet the pre-requisites given that I did previously follow the procedure on the HowTo about the rt2870 http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=13425930, and i therefore think that I have built a rt2870 driver that is not functioning and needs to be uninstalled before I go any futher.

Would you be kind enough again to let me know if I do need to uninstall this and if so how?

Here are some of my terminal logs, I thought may be useful for you:

desktop:~$ uname -r
    2.6.31-17-generic-pae
    asrock@asrock-desktop:~$ sudo modprobe -r rt2870sta
    [sudo] password for asrock:
    FATAL: Module rt2870sta is in use.
    asrock@asrock-desktop:~$

asrock@asrock-desktop:~$ dmesg |grep rt28
    [ 15.994027] rt2870sta: module is from the staging directory, the quality is unknown, you have been warned.
    [ 16.009942] usbcore: registered new interface driver rt2870
    [ 16.077563] Error: Driver 'rt2870' is already registered, aborting...
    [ 16.077576] usbcore: error -16 registering interface driver rt2870

Last edited by gnitram; January 17th, 2010 at 04:58 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gnitram View Post
    Hi B K

thanks for the response I have not followed the procedure yet, because I am not sure if I meet the pre-requisites given that I did previously follow the procedure on the HowTo about the rt2870 http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=13425930, and i therefore think that I have built a rt2870 driver that is not functioning and needs to be uninstalled before I go any futher.

Would you be kind enough again to let me know if I do need to uninstall this and if so how?

Here are some of my terminal logs, I thought may be useful for you:

desktop:~$ uname -r
    2.6.31-17-generic-pae

asrock@asrock-desktop:~$ dmesg |grep rt28
    [ 15.994027] rt2870sta: module is from the staging directory, the quality is unknown, you have been warned.
    [ 16.009942] usbcore: registered new interface driver rt2870
    [ 16.077563] Error: Driver 'rt2870' is already registered, aborting...
    [ 16.077576] usbcore: error -16 registering interface driver rt2870

Hi, I do not know of a safe way to uninstall your rt2870 driver.
    However the person posting in post #21 seems to have done the same thing in an indirect way by reinstalling the same driver and letting the process overwrite the previous driver.
    I believe that you need to download and decompress the same driver to the same location that you had done previously. Then open a Terminal window, change directory to that location and then execute the make && install command.
    Hope that can do the trick for you.

After that you can give PROCEDURE C-1 a go if you like.
    Note that this procedure is written for Linksys Wusb54gc v3 usb wireless adapter with ID 1737:0077 Linksys .
    You need to open a Terminal window and execute command lsusb (assuming you have a usb wireless adapter) to find out your ID and substitute your ID number in Step 5 if yours is different (follow the format in the file that you are inputting the info into).

Any feedback/comment will be must helpful.

Good luck!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Tagging for view in a few days.
    Got the Java & Ubuntu caffeine fix!

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast