Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 10.04 & Samba error

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 & Samba error

I had the same problem after I installed 10.04, replacing 9.04 (to go from 32 to 64bit). I copied across the smb.conf and installed the required packages but it wouldn't work until I created a smbpassword

I used these instructions:

http://www.jonathanmoeller.com/screed/?p=1590

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pettitti View Post
    I had the same problem after I installed 10.04, replacing 9.04 (to go from 32 to 64bit). I copied across the smb.conf and installed the required packages but it wouldn't work until I created a smbpassword

Interestingly, manually updating all the passwords seemed to fix the file access issue. I didnt think to try that, as it was an upgrade via the terminal rather than a fresh install... Thanks! = )

However, although this now works with \\192.168.1.100 it still does not work with \\serverName ..? I defiantly have smbd and nmbd running.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

This is what I have done on every Ubuntu install I have done on my work machines:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install SMBFS winbind

edit /etc/nsswitch.conf: change:
    Code:
    hosts: files dns
    to:
    Code:
    hosts: files dns wins
    I have also including the information on the wins server in smb.conf and I can access shares on my Ubuntu machine from Windows XP

pricetech is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans

Fixed it for me also. All I did was run the smbpasswd command and everything started working just fine.

I already had everything installed via Synaptics and set up via the gui tool.

All my shares are hidden though, so I don't use browsing anyway.

Beans

This is what I have done on every Ubuntu install I have done on my work machines:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install SMBFS winbind

edit /etc/nsswitch.conf: change:
    Code:
    hosts: files dns
    to:
    Code:
    hosts: files dns wins
    I have also including the information on the wins server in smb.conf and I can access shares on my Ubuntu machine from Windows XP
    What did you include in your smb.conf about the wins server? This is the last little step now...such an annoying thing too!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

These instructions worked great except you don't have to modify the smb.conf file. Just set the password. Thanks for the post

Originally Posted by pettitti

Last edited by Tiberion; May 11th, 2010 at 02:19 PM. Reason: forgot to quote the original post
    Rise, and Rise again, until the Lambs become Lions.

Beans

I have this same error. Further, my Ubuntu box is unable to view any windows machines on the network. I, too, upgraded from 9.10 to 10.04 using the GUI updater.

Beans

I spent 3 days wasting me time trying to get my old samba share working using the old config file. For some reasong nothing was working. I decided to try from a clean smb.conf file.

I removed my old samba config files that i had edited, to do this I used nautilus as root to remove them, as I am a bit cautious using sudo rm -rf /etc/samba. If someone knows a better way please correct me, this is just what I did and I'd hate to have people make mistakes that could hurt their system, so I tend to use a GUI when playing around with removing system folders.

Code:
     gksu nautilus
    and from there I went to /etc/samba and deleted everything inside the folder. I then copied the original smb.conf file that comes when you install samba from /usr/share/samba and put it into /etc/samba and started with that.

Followed the guide above, and for some reason it decided to work this time around. I really don't know what to attribute it to, I did the smbpasswd -a before.

What I would recommend to people is really go through the How-To mentioned above, starting with the basic samba share that is mentioned, and once you know for sure that's working, then you've eliminated any possible firewall/routing problems. Then it's just a matter of setting up your shares.

Good luck everyone.
    Last edited by Vock; May 18th, 2010 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Enhanced Clarity

Beans

Hi again,

I just thought I would update everyone...

Basically I gave up on this, and totally reinstalled Ubuntu 10.04, whacked in my smb.conf and it worked straight away! As far as I could tell, nothing was different to before. So, annoyed yet pleased I continued happily.

However, after many weeks of it working fine, I have been away on holiday for two weeks, I come back and it's broken again! Exactly the same as before! Now I haven't touched or changed anything, I haven't been here to do so!

Ah well, hopefully this is something that gets fixed in 10.10...

Beans

Also, I have discovered that I cannot access the server via its hostname under any protocol...so I can't SSH using hostname, only the IP, same with http, or MySQL

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast