Thread: 10.04 kernel panic after improper shut down

Beans

Exclamation 10.04 kernel panic after improper shut down

Hi all.

A fellow employee was installed a new UPS recently and didn't know enough to shut down our Ubuntu file server prior to unplugging it. That's right...he just pulled the plug out of the outlet then plugged it into the UPS. The result is a kernel panic. I've never dealt with a kernel panic before and I've read through a few dozen different posts/articles but I'm still clueless and I need to get this fixed asap. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by cwscribner; January 10th, 2012 at 03:43 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: 10.04 kernel panic after improper shut down

do you get panics on every reboot? or did it only appear once?
    i5 2500k @ 4.4 GHz | MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) | Gigabyte GTX 570 (OC) 1280 MB GDDR5 | Alpenföhn Himalaya | Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 8GB CL9 RAM | Be quiet! Straight Power BQT-E9 700W | NZXT Lexa S | Monitor - ASUS ML248H 24"

Beans

Boot from SystemRescueCd or similar and run fsck.

Beans

Every reboot. I wound up just backing up the files then wiping the server so I'm almost back to regular function now. I just need to set up samba.

Are there any safeguards that can be put in place to prevent the kernel panic?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by cwscribner View Post
    Every reboot. I wound up just backing up the files then wiping the server so I'm almost back to regular function now. I just need to set up samba.

Are there any safeguards that can be put in place to prevent the kernel panic?
    Umm, sure! How about some additional training for the "fellow employee" who "installed a new UPS recently and didn't know enough to shut down" your "Ubuntu file server prior to unplugging it"?

Have fun!

Beans

The real "fun" part about this is that it was my boss who did it. So I had to employ my best effort to keep under control during this whole process.

Beans

You might mention to him/her that Windows servers don't like to be powered off abruptly either. It's not just a Linux thing.