Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade 23.10 to 24.04 crashed, how to execute post upgrade scripts?

Beans

Question Upgrade 23.10 to 24.04 crashed, how to execute post upgrade scripts?

Hi,

I've upgraded from 23.10 to 24.04 and got while upgrading a "Oh no! Something has gone wrong"-screen.
    I managed to clean my apt packages (dpkg --configure -a, apt --fix-broken install, apt dist-upgrade ...).

But ... I think there are post upgrade scripts which were not executed:
    My /etc/apt/sources.list is still available and was not migrated to deb822 ...

Is there a chance to find out which steps I have to do to fully complete my upgrade?

Thanks,

Franz
    Last edited by franz_s; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:12 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Upgrade 23.10 to 24.04 crashed, how to execute post upgrade scripts?

I would like to suggest that the reason the upgrade from Ubuntu 23.10 to 24.04 failed was because the upgrade path is not yet open and will not be open until 6 months after Ubuntu 24.04 LTS has been released.

The hassle free way to upgrade is to use Software & Updates set to notify of a new Ubuntu version = any new version or for long-term support versions.

Then in time when you run Software Updater the invitation to upgrade to 2404 LTS will appear.

In the meantime those wishing to run 24.04 LTS are best advised to do a new installation from the ISO image.

Regards

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Sorry, but your post was not very helpful for me. And upgrade to 24.04 is not released after 6 month. (release notes: "Users of Ubuntu 23.10 will be offered an automatic upgrade to 24.04 soon after the release.")

My question again: Is there a chance to find out which steps I have to do to fully complete my upgrade?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 24.04 Noble Numbat

Hello,

during the same upgrade as the OP, I still have /etc/apt/sources.list available as well, so I suppose that this is not an issue. The commands you mention are the correct ones so as for someone to resume a "broken" upgrade. Have you noticed something that is not working properly so as to have a clearer picture of what is not working as it should?

Regards!

Beans

Hi Claus7,

thank you for your reply. You are right, /etc/apt/sources.list still exists, but it should be migrated during upgrade to /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ubuntu.sources. /etc/apt/sources.list has afterwards only this comment in it: "# Ubuntu sources have moved to /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ubuntu.sources"

Up to now I don't have any issues, but I am afraid that something other might not be migrated/upgrated etc.

New installation is not possible for me, because the new installer doesn't support full disk encryption up to now ... And ... I would be happy, if I could save me from a new installation.

Regads, Franz

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 24.04 Noble Numbat

Hello,

I do have /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ folder with many contents inside. The uncommented lines of my /etc/apt/sources.list are:
    deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu noble main universe multiverse restricted
    deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ noble-security universe main multiverse restricted
    deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu noble-updates universe main multiverse restricted

I'm not aware about the migration you mention, yet things seem to be working fine.

Regards!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The content of Noble's /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ubuntu.sources is now:
    Code:
    # Ubuntu sources have moved to /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ubuntu.sources
    The content of Noble's /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ubuntu.sources is now:
    Code:
    Types: deb
    URIs: http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/
    Suites: noble noble-updates noble-backports
    Components: main restricted universe multiverse
    Signed-By: /usr/share/keyrings/ubuntu-archive-keyring.gpg
    Types: deb
    URIs: http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/
    Suites: noble-security
    Components: main restricted universe multiverse
    Signed-By: /usr/share/keyrings/ubuntu-archive-keyring.gpg
    That is how that works now.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

Yes, Noble now uses deb822 format. See release notes:
    deb822 sources management

The sources configuration for Ubuntu has moved from /etc/apt/sources.list to /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ubuntu.sources in the more featureful deb822 format, aligning with PPAs that already migrated to deb822 last year. See the specification 61 for more details.
    This I missed on my upgrade after it failed ... I have manually migrated it. But - are there other things - beyond apt-packages - I should migrate/upgrade etc.?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by franz_s View Post
    But - are there other things - beyond apt-packages - I should migrate/upgrade etc.?
    That should be good enough for now.

Unless you have other questions..
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 1fallen View Post
    That should be good enough for now.
    Thank you very much!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast