Thread: gstreamer problem, totem fails to launch

Beans

gstreamer problem, totem fails to launch

I`ve been trying to install subtitleeditor, and he asked me to install gstreamer and it`s plugins. so i installed them, but after compiling and install subtitleeditor, it couldn`t lunch any files, saying that it is gstreamer`s plugin`s problem. So i decided to reinstall them, and after reinstall i cannot launch Totem and Decibel Audio Player any more. Totem says:

Code:
    ** (totem:8856): DEBUG: Init of Python module
    ** (totem:8856): DEBUG: Registering Python plugin instance: YouTube+TotemPythonPlugin
    ** (totem:8856): DEBUG: Creating object of type YouTube+TotemPythonPlugin
    ** (totem:8856): DEBUG: Creating Python plugin instance

** (totem:8856): WARNING **: Failed to create dbus proxy for org.gnome.SettingsDaemon: Could not get owner of name 'org.gnome.SettingsDaemon': no such name
    ** (totem:8856): DEBUG: Init of Python module
    totem: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gst-0.10/gst/_gst.so: undefined symbol: gst_control_source_get_type
    and Decibel says:
    Code:
    python: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gst-0.10/gst/_gst.so: undefined symbol: gst_control_source_get_type
    Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. i`m not sure if something else doesn`t work too. I know that VLC still plays movies.

Beans

Re: gstreamer problem, totem fails to launch

I ran into this while trying to get 8.10 set up last night. My solution was to go into Synaptic and get every plugin I could find for gstreamer. That may have been dumb but it got Totem working.

Good luck!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mister_Joshua View Post
    I ran into this while trying to get 8.10 set up last night. My solution was to go into Synaptic and get every plugin I could find for gstreamer. That may have been dumb but it got Totem working.

Good luck!
    Thanks for the answer! But that`s what i did already, but it just doesn`t help (

Beans

A little update:

I have been able to run Totem. I deleted
    Code:
    sudo rm /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gst-0.10/gst/_gst.so
    and than launched Totem. It said about error, but after i unchecked Youtube plugin it now runs good. I was also able to launch Decibel-audio-player, but it couldn`t play any music.

i later reinstalled python-gst0.10 and Totem still runs good. However decibel now gives me the old error:

Code:
    python: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gst-0.10/gst/_gst.so: undefined symbol: gst_control_source_get_type